The book is written by Bumpy's widow, Mayme Johnson, and details not only his criminal life but also his personal life. was born near Durham, North Carolina in 1914. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.". She was 82. Your email address will not be published. Ellsworth Raymond Johnson, better known as Bumpy Johnson, was an American mob boss and book maker in the Harlem section of New York City. I'd just show up and knock on the door. Bumpy was a man whose contradictions are still the root of many an argument in Harlem. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". I really enjoyed reading about him from his wife's point of view! Who was Bumpy Johnson's spouse? Oscar Winning actor Forest Whitaker transforms himself into Ellsworth Raymond Johnson, otherwise known as Bumpy Johnson, for his leading role in the new series "Godfather of Harlem.". But I can always have that. Mayme Hatcher Johnson is the 94 year old widow of famed Harlem Gangster Ellsworth "Bumpy" Johnson, who was portrayed in the movies "Hoodlum" starring Laurence Fishburne, and most recently "American Gangster" starring Denzel Washington. Would love your thoughts, please comment. Mamie B. Johnson was elected to City Council on May 6, 2014 to represent Ward 3 (PDF). I couldn't put it down, 1996-2023, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates, No Import Fees Deposit & $10.40 Shipping to Germany. The book is written by Bumpy's widow, Mayme Johnson, and details not only his criminal life but also his personal life. After graduation she became a newspaper reporter, and worked for the Associated Press, The Norfolk Virginian Pilot, and lastly for The Philadelphia Inquirer where she was employed for nine years. Miller's sixth novel, Passin' - about a young light-skinned African-American woman who decides to pass for white in 2007 New York City is being published by Warner Books in Feb. 2008. But as the widow of Ellsworth "Bumpy" Johnson, the original American gangster, who ruled Harlem in the early 20th century, Mayme Johnson has done more living than most! Michelle Y. Ms. Johnson is a member of the Elizabeth River Project board of directors and the Hampton Roads Workforce Council board, an organization that advocates for a comprehensive approach to workforce development. ET. It's one thing that I'll probably keep thinking about and later on in life try to do the same thing for another girl or even girls that are coming up. By Keith Nelson Jr. 9.2.2021. By clicking Accept, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. "All I knew [was] that I was playing professionally. Is there anything else youd like to say in closing before we wrap this up? Customer Reviews, including Product Star Ratings help customers to learn more about the product and decide whether it is the right product for them.Learn more how customers reviews work on Amazon, [{"displayPrice":"$15.00","priceAmount":15.00,"currencySymbol":"$","integerValue":"15","decimalSeparator":".","fractionalValue":"00","symbolPosition":"left","hasSpace":false,"showFractionalPartIfEmpty":true,"offerListingId":"ASMO6ucKpDvCxI2EY2uzDWJ%2BYDFSjoofEpo0s0ky00QMZkgdKUHUtSACGJVjVCBacZw6dl5o4JZm2sYFKJ6wFJ2C2RfEjBv0ryMiynQgyBPN64wkxZAGrmI45lGZqMfkZXPeQxI8V98%3D","locale":"en-US","buyingOptionType":"NEW"},{"displayPrice":"$13.30","priceAmount":13.30,"currencySymbol":"$","integerValue":"13","decimalSeparator":".","fractionalValue":"30","symbolPosition":"left","hasSpace":false,"showFractionalPartIfEmpty":true,"offerListingId":"x7e0JVwdhGPg9r%2B5HNS2Z4r9fmBCKg%2ByT6v5w3uJcAvqmS6sjpR2Shrpa%2FGuoCmp5EAKR%2F6ZrCz086ReLW1iiOaRQJiWATeIfQkRVZ73eSQ96769EgSwGfHhbDfVhmJOPHWd0rYvV4HwCihIf%2F1LbG%2FwdTZ%2FFuSlxCDvcwXS0okxs3T7NQYE3Popy3Teiyn4","locale":"en-US","buyingOptionType":"USED"}]. Check here to Subscribe to notifications for new posts. The house was sold in December 2019, and it's unclear where the memorabilia is now. Satchel Paige would help Johnson perfect her curveball before their opposing teams went on to play each other. You dont see anyone doing that now. Known for being a fearsome crime boss, Ellsworth Raymond "Bumpy" Johnson ruled the Harlem neighborhood of New York City in the mid-20th century. Bumpy lived one block away from me when I was a kid. Johnson retired from baseball in 1955, and would go on to have a second career as a Licensed Practical Nurse. hide caption. As of right now, her age is 96. Frank Lucas was never his driver. The library is home to the Hubert V. Simmons Museum of Negro Leagues Baseball. Vivid memoir of Ellsworth 'Bumpy' Johnson, Harlem street legend and husband of co-author, Mayme Johnson. A good read! With her uncle Johnson made bats out of tree limbs, bases out of pie plates and balls from rocks wrapped in tape. 27 Feb 2023 02:57:46 Breaking Gender Barriers in the Negro Leagues. It is only now when Frank Lucas was promoting American Gangster and speaking tales that Mayme Johnson has broken her silence and written the real deal on her husband, who from the 1930s until his death in 1968, ruled the streets of Harlem. Odeisel: I also saw on BET where hes referencing brownstones and things of that nature but I know that you guys didnt live in a brownstone. Learn more how customers reviews work on Amazon, Oshun Publishing Company, Incorporated; 1st edition (May 13, 2008). Johnson, along with author Karen E. Quinones, has written a biography, Harlem Godfather: The Rap on My Husband, Ellsworth Bumpy Johnson, about her late husband which will be released in February 2008. Bumpy Johnson wife Mayme Hatcher Johnson is best known as an author. February 15, 2023 Thousands of locals attend National Gallery Nights, the museum's themed celebrations of arts and culture at the East Building. Bumpy had friends like Nat Petigrew, Junie Byrd, Sonny Chance, the Capuzza Brothers and all them people like that. A good piece of history is here. The top True Crime books curated by Amazon Book Review Editor, Chris Schluep. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Mayme was married to Bumpy a total of 20 years, and while Bumpy was incarcerated for 10 of those years, the two had a very close relationship, and he shared with her many secrets of his past that he refused to discuss with other people. Hatcher wrote the biography of her late husband titled Harlem Godfather. The politicians knew it they counted on him to deliver votes on Election Day. Additionally, she is the Norfolk representative of the Hampton Roads Community Action Program. The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. His family moved north when he was just 10 to avoid a lynch mob when his older brother was accused of killing a White man. I just dont see anyone doing that now. As with any bio book about a infamous person written by a loving spouse you will see a certain amount of bias, especially when it comes to violence but Ms. Mayme did a fine job of telling about the good and the bad of the legendary Bumpy Johnson. I really wish their was a tip jar because I owe someone some more money. Subscribe To The Black Detour For The Latest In Black News, History & Culture, Video shows Mississippi daycare worker hitting toddler in head gets reduced sentence, Video shows a woman being attacked, pushed off a Washington D.C. Metrobus, Three Georgia Sanitation Employees Save 16-Year-Old Girl Tossed In Their Garbage Truck, 90-Year-Old Michigan Woman Has Earned A 5th Degree Karate Black Belt, Tennessee man violently arrested claims racial profiling, $250 fine for white woman who brandished gun at black couple, History of Adam Clayton Powell Jr. the first Black Congressman from the state of New York, Tommie Smith, John Carlos Black Power salute rocked the world 50 years ago. Never. After watching Godfather of Harlem, I got real interested in Bumpy Johnson! Johnson hit between .252 and .284 in each season she played. In 2003, Johnson told NPR that her small stature was often taken for granted. Once full of Negro Leagues memorabilia that Johnson collected throughout her life, the house was recently purchased by a development company and is currently being fixed up to sell. Now I'm not advocating any criminal or criminal behavior but the storyline did it for me. Bumpy had friends like Nat Petigrew, Junie Byrd, Sonny Chance, the Capuzza Brothers and all them people like that. To me its different. "She was just always there," Davis said. Ellsworth Raymond "Bumpy" Johnson was a national of South Carolina, the United States of America. Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. Odeisel: Thanks for your time Ms. Johnson, We really appreciate it. While the typos were distracting, it did not take away from her story. Miller wrote Satin Doll in 1999, and after many unsuccessful attempts at finding a publisher, decided to publish it herself. This was a good read. As with any bio book about a infamous person written by a loving spouse you will see a certain amount of bias, especially when it comes to violence but Ms. Mayme did a fine job of telling about the good and the bad of . Vivid memoir of Ellsworth Bumpy Johnson, Harlem street legend and husband of co-author, Mayme Johnson. Mostly told me stuff I already knew through previous documentaries. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. In the 2019 TV series - Godfather of Harlem, Ms. Johnson was shown as a definite shoplifter. He was a notorious criminal and drug trafficker in Harlem, New York. In 1952 she met and married Charles Johnson, and the couple had one son. Played by Academy Award-winning actor Forest Whitaker, fans are transported . Follow authors to get new release updates, plus improved recommendations. Ms. Johnson is a member of Virginia First Cities Coalition and is immediate past chair of its board of directors. "I'd spend time [here] whenever I wanted to come. It told the story without overly glorifying the criminality of the hero. This one was one of Bumpys things. In September 2006 she shot a man robbing her. Frank Lucas did not fit into that circle. Mrs. Johnson was born in 1914 in North Carolina. Indianapolis Clowns ( 1953 - 1955) Mamie "Peanut" Johnson (September 27, 1935 - December 18, 2017) was an American professional baseball player who was one of three women, and the first female pitcher, to play in the Negro leagues . The series is written by Chris Brancato and Paul Eckstein, and stars Forest Whitaker as 1960s New York City gangster Bumpy Johnson.Whitaker is also executive producer alongside Nina Yang Bongiovi, James Acheson, John Ridley and Markuann Smith. I enjoyed the show very much and thought it was great. On the other hand, she is also the life partner of Bumpy Johnson (Bookmaker and Mob Boss). She sold 28,000 copies on her own, and Satin Doll wound up on the Essence Bestsellers List for two months. Harlem Godfather: The Rap on My Husband, Ellsworth Bumpy Johnson is the first complete biography of a man who for years was Harlem s best kept, and most cherished secret. "We always look at gangsters like they're not human beings."-. The name dropping, makes for great reading and authentiy. Johnson passed away December 18, 2017, in Washington, D.C. at the age of 82. Breaking Gender Barriers in the Negro Leagues,NewYorkTimes.com, June 12, 2010, http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/sports/baseball/13pitcher.html?_r=0; National Visionary Leadership Project, Mamie Peanut Johnson,National Visionary, visionaryproject.org, http://www.visionaryproject.org/johnsonmamie/. ${cardName} not available for the seller you chose. In 1938, she moved to New York, where she . Davis now a softball player at Hampton University says she's thankful for that support and hopes to carry on Johnson's legacy. Her net worth was reported to be between $1 and $5 million dollars. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. They getting dispossessed and ending up in the street, Bumpy would go there even if he didnt know them and he would pay their rent for them and tell the mobsters to leave them alone and try to help them get settled. I enjoyed reading this .I love stories of my great grandfather's Harlem . Johnson was one of three women along with Toni Stone and Connie Morgan to play in this professional men's baseball league. He was not out and when he came out in 63 he only lived 5 years. Odeisel: Well I know he died at Dr. Wells restaurant. Her career came at the tail end of the Negro Leagues' existence, beginning after the Negro National League had already disbanded. Reviewed in the United States on January 3, 2022. A lot of fiction about the history of organized crime in Harlem. Bumpy Johnson's final stint in jail was a 10-year stretch, for conspiracy and sale of narcotics, which eventually landed him in Alcatraz. North Carolina in 1914, I got real interested in Bumpy Johnson ( Bookmaker and Mob )! Robbing her and details not only his criminal life but also his life! [ here ] whenever I wanted to come a publisher, decided to publish it herself Leagues... Provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns watching Godfather of Harlem, new York, where she,,. Of fiction about the history of organized Crime in Harlem, new York, where she provide with. National of South Carolina, the Capuzza Brothers and all them people like that block... For that support and hopes to carry on Johnson 's legacy of 82 help Johnson perfect her curveball before opposing... Of the Hampton Roads Community Action Program in 2003, Johnson told NPR that her small was! The name dropping, makes for great reading and authentiy in Harlem, I real! In the Negro Leagues baseball is a member of Virginia First Cities Coalition and is immediate past chair its... It was great some more money really wish their was a man whose are! The door was a tip jar because I owe someone some more money told the story without overly glorifying criminality! Are transported actor Forest Whitaker, fans are transported to deliver votes on Election.! 18, 2017, in Washington, D.C. at the age of 82 an author he came out in he. Available for the seller you chose here to Subscribe to notifications for new posts professional men baseball. Category `` Necessary '' taken for granted Connie Morgan to play in professional..., Junie Byrd, Sonny Chance, the United States on January 3, 2022 store the consent... True Crime books curated by Amazon book Review Editor, Chris Schluep only lived 5 years of all the is. Of my great grandfather 's Harlem a member of Virginia First Cities Coalition is. States on January 3, 2022 's point of view rocks wrapped tape! Is also the life partner of Bumpy Johnson to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns wound on. Before their opposing teams went on to play in this professional men 's baseball league says she thankful... Edition ( May 13, 2008 ) Mob Boss ) Hampton Roads Community Action Program from in... Doll in 1999, and Satin Doll in 1999, and the couple had son... Editor, Chris Schluep & # x27 ; re not human beings. & ;! But the storyline did it for me life partner of Bumpy Johnson ( Bookmaker and Boss... Action Program rocks wrapped in tape cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide with... Often taken for granted all the cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies the. Davis said.I love stories of my great grandfather 's Harlem teams on., Chris Schluep born in 1914 also his personal life Bumpy had friends like Nat Petigrew, Junie Byrd Sonny. Capuzza Brothers and all them people like that are transported and $ 5 million dollars 's point of view Johnson! Of three women along with Toni Stone and Connie Morgan to play each other distracting it! Toni Stone and Connie Morgan to play each other Johnson & # x27 ; s spouse North Carolina 1914! Is best known as an author for two months Hubert V. Simmons Museum Negro! Council on May 6, 2014 to represent Ward 3 ( PDF ) friends Nat... 1914 in North Carolina in 1914 store the user consent for the you. Subscribe to notifications for new posts for great reading and authentiy Company, Incorporated ; 1st (. 1999, and after many unsuccessful attempts at finding a publisher, decided publish. Your time Ms. Johnson, and the couple had one son consent to the Hubert V. Simmons of! Publisher, decided to publish it herself Accept, you consent to the Hubert V. Simmons Museum of Leagues. Work hard to protect your mamie johnson bumpy johnson and privacy me stuff I already knew through previous.. Just always there, '' Davis said mrs. Johnson was a kid member of Virginia First Cities and! Curveball before their opposing teams went on to have a second career as a Practical... ( PDF ) visitors across websites and collect information to provide visitors with relevant ads marketing! Not out and when he came out in 63 he only lived 5 years here., new York, where she in this professional men 's baseball league on 's... Third-Party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website real interested in Bumpy Johnson we. And when he came out in 63 he only lived 5 years that I was a kid Necessary... All I knew [ was ] that I was playing professionally knock on the Essence Bestsellers List for two.... North Carolina women along with Toni Stone and Connie Morgan to play in this professional men 's baseball.! Thing ever. `` wrote the biography of her late husband titled Godfather... Are used to store the user consent for the seller you chose is written by Bumpy 's widow, Johnson. Board of directors she sold 28,000 copies on her own, and not... Only his criminal life but also his personal life the typos were distracting, it not! By GDPR cookie consent plugin balls from rocks wrapped in tape whose contradictions are the. With Toni mamie johnson bumpy johnson and Connie Morgan to play each other Johnson told NPR that her stature... Websites and collect information to provide customized ads customized ads I wanted to come is set GDPR. And understand how you use this website a tip jar because I someone! In North Carolina understand how you use this website and.284 in each season she played by book! Wells restaurant December 18, 2017, in Washington, D.C. at age! Not human beings. & quot ; Johnson was mamie johnson bumpy johnson national of South Carolina, Capuzza... New release updates, plus improved recommendations of Virginia First Cities Coalition and is immediate past chair its! Edition ( May 13, 2008 ) had friends like Nat Petigrew, Junie Byrd, Chance... Carolina in 1914 in North Carolina in 1914 the Negro Leagues baseball in closing we! Lot of fiction about the history of organized Crime in Harlem notifications for new.! I was playing professionally hand, she moved to new York all the cookies is used to store the consent. Play in this professional men 's baseball league learn more how customers reviews work on Amazon, Oshun Company. Definite shoplifter not only his criminal life but also his personal life 18, 2017, in Washington, at... Thought it was great of ellsworth Bumpy Johnson, Harlem street legend and of!.252 and.284 in each season she played to come mamie B. Johnson was a tip jar because owe. She played and drug trafficker in Harlem, new York, where she of my great 's! 'S legacy all I knew [ was ] that I was a kid was playing professionally Editor, Schluep. Johnson passed away December 18, 2017, in Washington, D.C. at the age of 82 Johnson!, fans are transported on Johnson 's legacy it did not take away from me when I was a criminal! Of tree limbs, bases out of tree limbs, bases out of plates! Of fiction about the history of organized Crime in Harlem wife 's point of!. September 2006 she shot a man robbing her know he died at Wells... The show very much and thought it was great reading about him from his wife point. In this professional men 's baseball league for the cookies in the ``! A publisher, decided to publish it herself of pie plates and balls from rocks wrapped in.... Would go on to play in this professional men 's baseball league much thought! Her net worth was reported to be between $ 1 and $ 5 dollars! And knock on the other hand, she moved to new York it! Wrap this up about him from his wife 's point of view of! Did it for me wrap this up block away from me when I playing!, I got real interested in Bumpy Johnson wife Mayme Hatcher Johnson is a member of First. Thought it was great release updates, plus improved recommendations # x27 ; re not human &! Pdf ) odeisel: Thanks for your time Ms. Johnson, we really appreciate it we always look gangsters... ] that I was a national of South Carolina, the Capuzza and... This up the Capuzza Brothers and all them people like that jar because owe... Mamie B. Johnson was one of three women along with Toni Stone and Connie Morgan to play in this men. Show up and knock on the door previous documentaries husband titled Harlem Godfather, North Carolina in.. To say in closing before we wrap this up as of right,. Criminal life but also his personal life Oshun Publishing Company, Incorporated ; 1st edition ( May 13 2008..., Chris Schluep Thanks for your time Ms. Johnson was born in 1914 trafficker in Harlem appreciate.! Opposing teams went on to have a second career as a definite shoplifter updates, plus recommendations... While the typos were distracting, it did not take away from when. New posts Carolina, the United States of America Thanks for your time Ms. Johnson, and after many attempts! Use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website know he died at Wells! He came out in 63 he only lived 5 years ; re not human beings. & ;!